As described in Nitta et al. 2020, this is likely an apogamous hybrid with Polyphlebium capillaceum (L.) Ebihara & Dubuisson as the mother, with which it shares nearly identical rbcL sequences. The other parent of the hybrid is unknown. Polyphlebium capillaceum has laminae reduced to just one or a few cells on either side of the veins, but Polyphlebium sp1 has more expanded laminae. Furthermore, Polyphlebium sp1 has 32 spores per sporangium, a condition that often indicates asexual reproduction via apogamy.
Nitta, Joel H., Atsushi Ebihara, and Alan R. Smith. “A taxonomic and molecular survey of the pteridophytes of the Nectandra Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica.” PLOS ONE 15.11 (2020): e0241231. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0241231
Collection Data (J.H. Nitta 123)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Hymenophyllaceae
- Genus: Polyphlebium Copel.
- Species: Polyphlebium sp1
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 16-II-2008
- Primary Collector & #: J.H. Nitta 123
- Collection Party:
- Det. History: J.H. Nitta and A.R. Smith 2008
- Habitat: Cloud forest
- Habit: Lithophyte
- Specimen Locations: CR, Nectandra, TI, UC
Epipetric in dry creek bed. Site: dry creek bed crossing trail C.
- Location: Nectandra Cloud Forest Preserve – La Balsa – Alajuela – San Ramon – Costa Rica.
- Coordinates: N10.186944° W84.510556°
- Elevation: 1140 m