Collection Data (M. Sundue 3582)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Lycopodiopsida
- Family: Lycopodiaceae
- Genus: Huperzia Bernh.
- Species: Huperzia beiteliana Mickel
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 25-III-2014
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue 3582
- Collection Party: M. Sundue F. B. Matos & R. Torres C.
- Det. History: M. Sundue
- Habitat: Pine - Oak Forest
- Habit: Terrestrial
- Specimen Locations: MEXU, VT
- Location: Cerro Pelón – – Distrito Ixtlán Municipio Santiago Comaltepec – Oaxaca – Mexico.
- Coordinates: 17°35'9"N, 96°29143"W
- Elevation: 2474 m
Really cool plant. When Mickel described this species (Mickel and Valdespino, 1992; Brittonia 44:312-321) he discussed its relationships to the circumboreal species Huperzia selago. He distinguished it from that species by its larger size, disjunct distribution (this is more than 1000km from the nearest H. selago population) and larger gemmae. One thing I noticed from these photos and this specimen (which is not clear in Mickel and Valdespino 1992) is that the gemmae are borne continuously along the shoot. This differs from Huperzia selago, which has gemmae confined to zones at the summit of each year’s growth. The gemmae of this species are also larger and have more acute apices.