Epipetiolar branch buds can be seen in these rhizome photos. As far as I know, this position for branch buds has not previously been reported fort Lonchitis
Collection Data (M. Sundue 3388)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Lonchitidaceae
- Genus: Lonchitis L.
- Species: Lonchitis hirsuta L.
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 14-Jan-2013
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue 3388
- Collection Party: M. Sundue with the OTS Tropical Fern and Lycophyte Course
- Det. History: M. Sundue
- Habitat: Tropical rainforest
- Habit: Terrestrial
- Specimen Locations: VT
Terrestrial on steep ravines in sandy soil.
- Location: Las Cruces Biological Field Station – – – Puntarenas – Costa Rica.
- Coordinates: 8° 47' 7'' N, 82° 57' 32'' W
- Elevation: ca. 1200 m