Collection Data (M. Sundue & A. Vasco 1265)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Lycopodiopsida
- Family: Lycopodiaceae
- Genus: Phlegmariurus (Herter) Holub
- Species: Phlegmariurus hippurideus (Christ) B. Øllg.
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 19-IV-2007
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue & A. Vasco 1265
- Collection Party: M. Sundue & A. Vasco
- Det. History: Benjamin Øllgaard
- Habitat: Paramo, Secondary Forest
- Habit: Terrestrial
- Specimen Locations: HUA, NY
Shrubby paramo w/ Monochaetum, Clusia, Hypericum, & Espeletia.
- Location: Corregimiento San Felix - Cuch Namde las Baldias. – – Bello – Antioquia – Colombia.
- Coordinates: 6°20.380’N, 75°38.648’W
- Elevation: 3135 m
Hi Michael, I think that this is Phlegmariurus hippurideus, beautifully photographed!. Its leaves are often more than 1 cm long and linear, with smooth margins. P firmus has leaves usually ca half as long and with denticulate margins; further the upper epidermis has the cells ca isodiametric and somewhat thick-walled, while in P hippurideus they are long-rectangular and relatively thin-walled.
Banjamin, thanks for the help with this! I will update the post to reflect your identification. Unfortunatey, I don’t have the specimen on hand and cannot check the epidermis characters.