These plants were found close to 4100 m on Mt. Wilhelm. They have only determinate, non-forking leaves. Holttum (1959) mentioned that populations at high elevation often do not develop the indeterminate and forking leaves characteristic of most Gleichenia. This species is close to G. dicarpa, which itself is quite variable. See further discussion by Leon Perrie on Tangle Ferns at the Te Papa blog.
Collection Data (M. Sundue 3701)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Gleicheniaceae
- Genus: Gleichenia Sm.
- Species: Gleichenia vulcanica Bl.
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 2-VIII-2014
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue 3701
- Collection Party: M. Sundue M. Lehnert D. N. Karger D. Quandt S. Noben K. Mar B.-C. Ho Y. Mei L. Lewis
- Det. History: M. Sundue
- Habitat: Alpine grassland
- Habit: Terrestrial
- Specimen Locations: LAE, VT
- Location: Mt. Wilhelm – – – Chimbu – Papua New Guinea.
- Coordinates: -5.790935, 145.047044 (estimated from map)
- Elevation: 4100 m