Collection Data (N. P. Smith 317)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Pteridaceae
- Genus: Pteris L.
- Species: Pteris vittata L.
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 13-XI-2011
- Primary Collector & #: N. P. Smith 317
- Collection Party: M. A. Neves
- Det. History: M. Sundue, 2011 (Pteris, from photo).
- Habitat: Masonry
- Habit: Lithophyte
- Specimen Locations: FLOR
Fertile. 27 m elevation.
- Location: – Florianópolis – – Santa Catarina – Brazil.
- Coordinates: 27 35' 58.37" S, 48 30' 35.88 W
This is a speices of Pteris. There are a couple that commonly occur on rock wall, e.g. P. longifolia and P. vittata.
Great. Thanks. P. vittata is native here.
Where are you from Nathan Smith?
Your plant is Pteris vittata L.
what are difference of pteris vittata and pteris longifolia
Both species are similar in having 1-pinnate-imparipinnate laminae, entire and linear pinnae, and free venation with simple or furcate veins. In Pteris longifolia, however, the pinnae are articulated to the rachis, whereas in P. vittata they are not (i.e., each pinna has a short petiolule that is continuous to the rachis). The pinnae base shape can be helpful too: cordate in P. longifolia vs. truncate in P. vittata.