Collection Data (M. Sundue & H. Maraia 4438)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Aspleniaceae
- Genus: Asplenium L.
- Species: Asplenium lobulatum Mett.
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 14-XI-2016
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue & H. Maraia 4438
- Collection Party: Irene Engilis, Alan Hitch, Ed de Vogel, John Trochet, Nittya Semard, Allen Allison, Raymon Joshua, Kore Maraia, Dabio, Alois Gambia
- Det. History: D. Ohlsen (MEL)
- Habitat: Castanopsis forest
- Habit: Epiphyte
- Specimen Locations: LAE, VT
- Location: Wild Dog Camp - former site of SINIVIT Wild Dog Mine – – – East New Britain – Papua New Guinea.
- Coordinates: S4.626160°, E152.044060°
- Elevation: 1355 m
is this proliferous? If so, that’s not consistent with Asplenium polyodon from Australia and New Zealand. Has a bit of a look of Asplenium lobulatum about it. You might like to check it by Daniel O.
Thanks for the comment Leon! I agree that this name is over applied and that there is perhaps a better name to apply here. This collection is a good match for “A. polyodon from A” illustrated in the Nakamura’s Ferns of the South Pacific Islands (2008). I will contact Daniel O and get his input next.