This species is named in honor of neurobiologist and pteridophile Oliver Sacks who passed away in 2015. Oliver participated in the fern foray organized by the New York Chapter of the American Fern Society and The New York Botanical Garden which made the earliest known collection of this species, Mickel 9653 (NY). Oliver described his experience on this trip in his travel memoir Oaxaca Journal (Sacks 2012). Sacks, O., 2012. Oaxaca journal. Vintage.
Collection Data (M. Sundue 3940)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Polypodiaceae
- Genus: Ceradenia L. E. Bishop
- Species: Ceradenia sacksii Sundue
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 15-III-2015
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue 3940
- Collection Party: GLZ Adame, W. Testo, R. Torres C., A. Vasco G.
- Det. History: M. Sundue
- Habitat: Bosque Mesofilo
- Habit: Lithophyte
- Specimen Locations: MEXU, VT
Epipetric on moist cliffs
- Location: Cerro Pelón – – Distrito Ixtlán Municipio Santiago Comaltepec – Oaxaca – Mexico.
- Coordinates: 17°34’33”N, 96°30’29”W
- Elevation: 2750 m