The name Dryopteris sparsa has been applied to plant from PNG, however I am not sure if they are all the same species. This plant is similar to Dryopteris sparsa from other parts of tropical Asia, but with submargial sori instead of medial sori, and rhizome scales that are thicker, darker, and longer than those of D. sparsa. Any improvements to this determination are welcome.
Collection Data (S. A. James & M. Sundue 1542)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Dryopteridaceae
- Genus: Dryopteris Adans.
- Species: Dryopteris sparsa (D. Don) Kuntze
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 5-II-2013
- Primary Collector & #: S. A. James & M. Sundue 1542
- Collection Party: Shelley James, Michael Sundue, Allen Allison, Si He, Dubi Damas, Bulisa Iova, Oliver Tallowin
- Det. History: M. Sundue
- Habitat: Secondary Forest
- Habit: Epiphyte
- Specimen Locations: BISH, LAE, VT
- Location: Sibium Mtns. – – – Northern Province – Papua New Guinea.
- Coordinates: 9.27446°S, 148.26468°E
- Elevation: 1340 m