Collection Data (M. Sundue & R. Torres 3036)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Polypodiaceae
- Genus: Melpomene A. R. Sm. & R. C. Moran
- Species: Melpomene moniliformis (Lag. ex Sw.) A.R. Sm. & R. C. Moran
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 28 II 2012
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue & R. Torres 3036
- Collection Party: M. Sundue & R. Torres
- Det. History: M. Lhenert (BONN)
- Habitat: Pine - Oak Forest
- Habit: Epiphyte
- Specimen Locations: MEXU, VT
Low epiphyte at the base of Abies. 3125 m.
- Location: – – Distrito Ixtlán Municipio San Pedro Yaneri – Oaxaca – Mexico.
- Coordinates: 17°22.7'N, 96°26.779'W
I am a little puzzled when looking at your 2015 pictures of M. flabelliformis. Who is who??
Please help me to recognize the right one.
Many Thanks, Malte
I agree they are quite different. I will check the specimens again and ask Marcus Lehnert to weigh in. He monographed the genus and should be able to sort things out.
The large plant is M. flabelliformis; the small one is M. moniliformis, I think. I know that the latter species grows as an epiphyte in Mexico but it is usually terrestrial with upright fronds.
Both species may actually look the same. Best distinguished by the rhizomes scales, but the hairs are also a good hint (scattered between sori and on rhachis in M. flabelliformis, more clustered in sor in M. moniliformis, if present at all)
… do I have the tendency to lecture people … ? Better safe than sorry …
Thanks Marcus! I will update this collection to M. moniliformis with you as having made the determination.