It was very exciting to see this beautiful species in the field. It occurs from Mexico to Costa Rica, Cuba, and Jamaica. According to Mickel & Smith (2004) it differs from the more widespread S. bifidus in lacking a tomentose indument on the abaxial laminar surface. It more closely resembles S. underwoodianus, but that species has narrower penultimate divisions with broader and more abundant scales on the costae.
Collection Data (F.B. Matos 2461)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Gleicheniaceae
- Genus: Sticherus C. Presl
- Species: Sticherus palmatus (W. Schaffn. ex E. Fourn.) Copel.
- Common name(s): Forked fern
General Collection Data
- Date: 27-III-2014
- Primary Collector & #: F.B. Matos 2461
- Collection Party: M. Sundue & R. Torres
- Det. History: F.B. Matos, III.2014
- Habitat: Pine - Oak Forest, road bank
- Habit: Terrestrial
- Specimen Locations: MEXU, NY
- Location: Carretera Oaxaca-Tuxtepec (MEX-175) – – Distrito Ixtlán Municipio San Pedro Yólox – Oaxaca – Mexico.
- Coordinates: 17.600278, -96.417222
- Elevation: 1500 m