Collection Data (M. Sundue 3280)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Pteridaceae
- Genus: Pteris L.
- Species: Pteris deflexa Link
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 08-IX-2012
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue 3280
- Collection Party: M. Sundue, J. Betancur, P. Pedraza, G. Giraldo, M. Jaimes, E. Tineo, M. Londono, A. Duque, L. Arias
- Det. History: M. Sundue
- Habitat: Primary Forest
- Habit: Terrestrial
- Specimen Locations: COL, NY, VT
- Location: Parque Nacional Natural Las Orquideas – – Frontino – Antioquia – Colombia.
- Coordinates: 6°38'20.7"N, 76°12'30.1"W
- Elevation: 1700-1750
Nice “mushroom-shaped” vascular bundle! 🙂
Pteris deflexa also occurs in eastern Brazil, and it amazes me to see how similar it is (with the awns and everything). I often find ants nesting in the hollow petiole bases of this species.
Yes, the type is from Brazil. I was used Rosenstock exsiccatae from southern Brazil that are at VT to identify this Colombian collection. Cool to know about the ants!