This collection from Parque Nacional Las Orquideas appears most similar to the Diplazium sprucei. They agree in their general leaf cutting, small size, prominent erect adaxial rachis wings, and dark lamina tissue. The plant from P.N. Orquideas, however, is considerably smaller in size and has differently shaped segments from other material of D. sprucei [http://plants.jstor.org/specimen/k000200171]. I would like to see more material fom the Chocó region to better understand variation across the range of the D. sprucei.
Collection Data (M. Sundue 3246)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Athyriaceae
- Genus: Diplazium Sw.
- Species: Diplazium sprucei (Baker) C. Chr. vel aff.
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 07-IX-2012
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue 3246
- Collection Party: M. Sundue, J. Betancur, P. Pedraza, G. Giraldo, M. Jaimes, E. Tineo, M. Londono, A. Duque, L. Arias
- Det. History: M. Sundue
- Habitat: Primary Forest
- Habit: Lithophyte
- Specimen Locations: COL, NY, VT
- Location: Parque Nacional Natural Las Orquideas – – Frontino – Antioquia – Colombia.
- Coordinates: 6°38'20.7"N, 76°12'30.1"W