Dryopteris nubigena is found in upper elevation cloud forests from southern Mexico to Costa Rica. Some plants from Oaxaca, the northern limit of its distribution, differ by having stramineous petioles and often smaller slightly less dissected leaves. This collection is particularly small, probably owing to the fact that it was growing on a rocky roadside ledge. Larger plants are in the forest nearby to this site.
Collection Data (M. Sundue 3556)
Classification & Common Names
- Class: Polypodiopsida
- Family: Dryopteridaceae
- Genus: Dryopteris Adans.
- Species: Dryopteris nubigena Maxon & C. V. Morton
- Common name(s):
General Collection Data
- Date: 24-III-2014
- Primary Collector & #: M. Sundue 3556
- Collection Party: M. Sundue F. B. Matos & R. Torres C,
- Det. History: M. Sundue
- Habitat: Pine - Oak Forest, Road cut
- Habit: Lithophyte
- Specimen Locations: MEXU, VT
Epipetric on ledges along road.
- Location: Cerro Pelón – – Distrito Ixtlán Municipio Santiago Comaltepec – Oaxaca – Mexico.
- Coordinates: 17°35'8.5"N, 96°30'34.8"
- Elevation: 2622 m